Sunday, May 24, 2009

Gaining more knowledge

I'm sure that I can't be the only developer out there that has a language that they call their primary and preferred coding language. For myself, I would definitely say that I am a ColdFusion buff to the highest level. I love the stuff! Especially for it's ease and speed of development and a must is the simplicity of creating a database connection to virtually any major database application available today.

But, the time has come where I feel the need to add another language to my brain. Which one to choose? Well, I am quite handy when it comes to ColdFusion, PHP, Classic ASP, SQL and how can we forget AJAX (it's pretty much a must these days). So, which language do I go forth with? There's actually an easy answer for this question and sorry to say but is includes learnign some Microsoft technology, and yes, I am not a big ole fan of MS stuff. But I have selected to start getting my hands dirty with some ASP.NET and of coarse there is reason behind this decision.

Recently, I have been going on a couple interviews, all going rather well I must say and was offered a developer position at a local Web company. I did accept the offer for reasons that should be obvious without me saying and I'm definitely very interested to see how this company plays it's role in the community. The thing is that I was hired to develop in Classic ASP, PHP and of coarse do those little and not so little updates, upgrades and changes to existing web sites and application along with doing some developing in ASP.NET.

Now, I am not one of those guys that shows up for an interview and lies just to get the job. If I don't know something I will make it very clear that I have no clue but if given the chance, I'm a quick learner and could definitely pick it up quick.

That's why I have decided to make an attempt at ASP.NET. I also think I got everything I need to get a going with it. Download and install of silly ole Visual Web Developer 2008, SQL Server 2008, I have Dreamweaver still although I don't really use it too often because Eclipse and Aptana do the same stuff (and are FREE).

That's about it, I got a new job and I hope it works out good (WOOT Me!!!).

- Pete

No comments: